Make Your Take Out- Orange Chicken
With my husband being unemployed at the moment, money is tighter then it usually is, so going out to eat is a no go for now. But I had a strong craving for Chinese. There is this Orange Chicken that comes from a delivery place that we order from when we visit my in-laws and it’s one of my favorite take out meals, so on a whim and an intense desire for Orange Chicken I got creative with my cooking last night and made my own. This isn’t the most healthy recipe, but it was oh so good, and in many ways was better then the one we get from take out!
2 Large Chicken Breasts
1 C Bread Crumbs
For The Sauce:
1/4 C Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
1 tbs Rice Vinegar
2 tbs Light Brown Sugar
2 tbs Honey
1 tsp Minced Garlic
1 Halo Orange
1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
1 tsp sesame seeds
1. Cut chicken into bite size pieces.
2. Place chicken into a ziplock bag with bread crumbs and shake to coat.
3. Pour olive oil in large frying pan & pre heat.
4. Place chicken in pan & cook til golden brown & crispy on the outside.
5. While chicken is cooking combine all ingredients, except for the orange, in a small sauce pan.
6. Use a small grater to grate skin of the orange into zest, then peel & chop orange into small bits and add to sauce mixture.
5. On medium heat slowly stir sauce until sugar is dissolved.
6. Once chicken and sauce are finished toss both in a bowl to coat chicken and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
7. Serve with rice or your favorite sides.
By the way: We’ve decided that every friday is RECIPE FRIDAY! So come back next week for another delicious recipe.